I slept and dreamed that life was joy,
I awoke and saw that life was duty,
I acted and behold: duty was joy.
-Rabindranath Tagore

Monday, August 17, 2009

I am ready to make a difference

I looked for a while for a photo of children in need. Found some but just couldn't bring myself to post them. Partly because I want this to be a hopeful and uplifting site but also I think because it is heartwrenching to look at and I am ashamed that I have not done more to help others in the past. I was really excited when I first thought about this site but I haven't wanted to make it known until I had gotten more of a start, figured more things out, etc. etc. but I am ready to start now.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
-Edmund Burke

I want this blog to cover the whole spectrum of helping others. From the small and free acts of service we can do daily to what to look for in a good charity before donating money. I think the biggest step is the first one. To recognize that it truly is our duty to serve and help others, and that much joy can be found in doing so.

So personally, I am beginning by going out of my comfort zone (as you will see in the next blog), daily doing small acts of service, and giving a little more financial support than I have in the past. Go act. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment