I slept and dreamed that life was joy,
I awoke and saw that life was duty,
I acted and behold: duty was joy.
-Rabindranath Tagore

Sunday, September 13, 2009

The yard sale!!!

Whew, that ended up being loads more work than I anticipated and required sooo much more help from others than I had thought it would. In the end it went off great! Friends, family, and neighbors were so kind and helpful. The money earned was $368.66 (I found some odd change in boxes of donations) and with a couple of items that didn't sell, I hope to break the $400 dollar mark!!! I will be taking the unsold kitchen items to the women's shelter for battered women and children, the unsold toys were given to a man who stopped by (he does a toy drive in November and is starting to grow out his beard to be Santa when he gives them out), and the rest was picked up by His House Ministries that helps alcoholic and homeless men.



Here is where I would like to add a special thanks to Johnson's mini storage for providing a free unit for us to use, Lexington High School for letting us use their parking lot, my parents for all the babysitting, My dad, my husband, and my brother-in-law for all their muscles (and Brian, thanks for the use of your truck), Nat, for making gobs of cookies to sell, designing the handouts, being my sound board, listening to me obsess, and providing helpful advice. Thank you Heather for staying in the wee hours of the morning to help label prices and keep me awake while I bit off more than I could chew (two days in a row) , and for hanging out at the tail end of the sale when I was just about to poop out. Thanks Kenneth (Heather's hubby) for giving up time with your wife. Katy and Aaron, thanks for helping with set up when you also had little Reuben with you and for making me laugh (always very helpful). Thank you Carol for your support, your comments made me feel encouraged. Thanks mom for being proud of me. Thank you everyone who donated items and bought items. And Jeff, thank you, thank you, thank you for not even blinking an eye as the house began to fill up with donations, and undone housework, for being patient as I had to keep leaving to do so many things to pull this off, for all you did as you were sick!!! And especially for your encouraging words.

No comments:

Post a Comment