I slept and dreamed that life was joy,
I awoke and saw that life was duty,
I acted and behold: duty was joy.
-Rabindranath Tagore

Sunday, November 8, 2009

How much does America give in foreign aid?

Let's get to the nitty gritty and talk about mon-nay! (I am such a nerd, I can't help it). I am not going to make this a big drawn out report because that would be arduous for me and boring for others so let me just say that people in the US have been found to have really skewed ideas of how much money individuals and the government give as foreign aid and not in the good way (This means we think we give loads more than we really do).
So starting with private philanthropy only 7 cents is given for foreign aid out of every $100 income earned.
The United States Government gives 18 cents of every $100 earned for foreign aid. It is also important to note that that money isn't going to those necessarily in greatest need but mostly to places in which we are politically motivated.
So this blog left A LOT unsaid, contributions for education, funding for research to help improve the lives of third world citizens, the complications of foreign goverments and such but it is a starting point of knowing how much we give as a nation of people and as taxpayers to our government.
This information was from the book "The Life You Can Save" by Peter Singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment